Team and Athlete Cost Breakdown
There are two primary fees involved in joining the TE Mountain Bike Team. There is a separate fee for the optional races/events.
We are a parent-run team with no compensation for any coaches. 100% of all fees go to the function and success of the team.
#1 $75 TEMTB Team Fees which covers:
- Practice venue rentals
- Coach Licensing Costs (Insurance, Background checks, First Aid Training, Skills Teaching Training)
- Safety supplies (First Aid Kits, Walkie Talkies, Rider Leader Safety Backpacks)
- Group Rider Permits at Valley Forge Park and Tredyffrin Township
- Skills Practice School Grounds Field Rentals
- Pitzone tents and flags, Team Pumps, Bike Stands, Backup Race tools and Tubes
Payments are made by check. Checks should be made out to "Main Line Youth Mountain Biking" and mailed to:
7 Weatherwood Lane
Wayne, PA 19087
#2 Pennsylvania Interscholastic Cycling League (PICL) / National Interscholastic Cycling Association (NICA)
- $220 PICL / NICA programming includes:
- $40 NICA membership fee
- ~$25 for NICA insurance and related processing fees and
- $155 for PICL practices, Local Dirts, and all that goes into building the PA league
- PLUS for those who race (Optional, see pamtb.org for schedule):
- $100 All In fee includes:
- 5 Race Entry Fees and
- 1 Adventure Weekend
- OR $45 a la carte Race or Adventure weekend
- If you plan to attend three of the six race/adventure weekends, sign up for the $100 All In above! You must pay this fee by July 31st or you'll have to pay $45 for each race/event.
Season July 5th - November 4th
The season runs for four months. The first month plus we ensure riders learn the core skills. We know life is busy and summers are crazy, but we hope by the end of summer, all riders have learned what it takes to be safe and have a base level of fitness. The first race this year is the last weekend in August this year. Riders are not required to race, but know that most September and October weekends the team participates in the PICL races and adventures. We continue group rides on the weekends that do not have a race or adventure weekend. We may also participate in a "Local Dirt" (a practice race) put on by area teams. No additional cost.
Other Expenses Not Included In the TEMTB Program Fee or the PICL/NICA Fee
#1 Race Jerseys - Every Student who participates in the racing series must have a team Jersey, ~$60
Jerseys are ordered directly by the student-athlete via the Voler Team store website. Students are only required to have a short sleeve "Jersey". All other items sshorts and accessories are optional. Most Students will order the $60 Equippe Jersey in a race fit style.
#2 Personal Athlete Expenses - In addition the above costs, there are equipment and transportation costs associated with Mountain Bike Racing:
- The cost of the bike the student needs or any maintenance on the bike. We will work with a local shop to get bikes at the manufacturer discounts where possible. All student-athletes will learn basic bike maintenance but shop technicians skills will likely be needed at times.
- Travel to and from races and any lodging needed is the athlete's family's responsibility. Races are weekend-long events, with course pre-rides the night before your race, a race day and sometimes an adventure day. You will want to stay overnight if you want to pre-ride the course and/or if your race time is early morning. Two of the 6 event season are 60-90 minutes from home. The other races are 2.5 - 4 hours away from our area; most offer camping, but if you're not a camper, you will need to pay for a hotel or AirBnB. The Boyce (Pittsburgh) race does not offer camping; see https://www.pamtb.org/events for details on a group hotel discount.
We can potentially reduce the team $75 fee by finding community sponsors and through fundraising. If you know of companies or individuals that would be interested in supporting our youth and the program, please reach out to us.
Parent Involvement Reimbursements
We highly encourage parents to ride along and help coach the team. Our team cannot function without a large number of parents and adults riding along with the kids. To encourage this, we attempt to take away the financial burden of getting involved. Here are the benefits we offer:
- We reimburse all coaches for coach License costs and background checks (Cost $52.50 per year)
- We annually set aside funds for the following larger coaching events:
-- Attendance at the Spring Leader's Summit (~$225/coach)
-- Reimbursement for First Aid Training, NICA Wilderness First Aid Training and CPR Training at cost.
All coach incurred expense reimbursement checks are available on September 15th.