If you are interested in making a donation to support Derek Huey's passion for getting kids on bikes, please use the below button. Please take a moment to leave a message for the Huey family just below the dollar amount on the donation submission page so that we may pass along your notes of love support to the family.
Sad News - 11/21/2017
With great sadness, I share the news that our coach and great friend, Derek Huey left us, surrounded by the love of his family. He fought a valiant and relentless battle with cancer for 10 months.
Through his love for mountain biking, Derek was instrumental in starting the TEMTB Program. It started as an initial fleeting thought, and became a highly successful program consisting of 62 kids and 28 coaches by our second season. Derek was confident that this would have a positive impact on kids, getting them outside, enjoying new challenges in the woods on their bikes. Derek was immensely proud of our team, of all our coaches, and the program he helped create.
During Derek's last weeks, despite his condition, he asked about the team on every single visit. It gave him moments of pride and happiness. The team will be a lasting contribution he made to our community.
The family has asked that we collect donations in lieu of flowers and put the funds to work in a way that would make Derek proud. Any donations received will be put to the following activities unless the donor requests some other specific use.
• Financial aid for kids to join the TEMTB program who might not be able to afford to participate. This may be in the form of subsidized league/team fees and/or team provided mountain bikes.
• Funding projects that promote new trail building and improving access for our community to hiking and mountain bike trails in South East Pennsylvania.
• A portion of the donations will go to the Pennsylvania Interscholastic Cycling League (PICL), ear marked to support programs that get more kids on bikes and help get the league access to new South Eastern Pennsylvania event locations.
Thank you in advance for you generous donations. If you want to see your donations at work, the use of all funds will be communicated via our Facebook page as they happen. https://www.facebook.com/temtb.org
1. Team bikes for kids where financial concerns limit their entry into our program or donated working bikes.
2. Funding league and race fees for families where these fees are not financially feasible
3. 2 Day Wilderness First Aid Certification Training for coaches ($300 per coach)
4. Training courses coaches to help them better serve the students
5. Bike Maintenance tools for teaching/learning
6. Bike work stand for students to signout and take home ($175)