Team and Athlete Cost Breakdown
There are two primary fees involved in joining the TE Mountain Bike Team. We are a parent-run team with no compensation for any coaches. 100% of all fees go to the function and success of the team.
#1 TEMTB Team Fees which covers:
- Practice venue rentals
- Coach Licensing Costs (Insurance, Background checks, First Aid Training, Skills Teaching Training)
- Safety supplies (First Aid Kits, Walkie Talkies, Rider Leader Safety Backpacks)
- Group Rider Permits at Valley Forge Park and Tredyffrin Township
- Skills Practice School Grounds Field Rentals
- Pumps, Bike Stands, Backup Race tools and Tubes
#2 Pennsylvania Interscholastic Cycling League - Season Pass
- All in season Programming including 5 Race Entry Fees and 1 Adventure Weekend Fee
- Supplemental Medical Insurance
- Coach Training and administration for the League
- League administration and Fundraising
- Contributions to the National Interscholastic support structure
TEMTB Team Fee
New Riders: Try-It Program $50 - July 1st - August 31st
The Try-It Program is where all new riders start to ensure they learn the core skills. We know life is busy and summers are crazy so we spend the summer really focused on making sure the students get what require the Core Skills to be safe and a base level of fitness. Offering a Try-it Program allows us to accommodate new students that are not sure they will like the sport. We also have the try-it program to ensure that riders advance to a specific ability level by the end of the summer. Over the past 3 years we have learned that the riding in the fall gets substantially faster and having riders that have not met the minimum requirements by August 31st greatly increases the risk of injury on the team.
Note: Since the vast majority of riders who enter the Try-It Program move on the the Race Program, we collect the full $130 up front. When we learn that a rider is not planning to continue past the August 31st date, we issue a refund to the family of $30.
Race Program $50 - July 1st - November 11th
Students: Payments are made by check. Checks should be made out to "Main Line Youth Mountain Biking". Checks should be mailed to:
Pennsylvania Interscholastic Cycling League "Season Pass" $300
- This pass includes 5 race entry fees, supplemental medical injury insurance, and league operating funds.
Other Expenses Not Included In the TEMTB Program Fee or the PICL Fee
#1 Race Jerseys - Every Student who participates in the racing series must have a team Jersey. $56
Jerseys are ordered directly by the student-athlete via the Voler Team store website. Students are only required to have a short sleeve "Jersey". All other items like shorts and accessories are optional. Most Students will order the $50 Equippe Jersey in a race fit style.
#2 Personal Athlete Expenses - In addition the above costs, there are equipment and transportation costs associated with Mountain Bike Racing:
- The cost of the bike the student needs or any maintenance on the bike. We will work with a local shop to get bikes at the manufacturer discounts where possible. All student-athletes will learn basic bike maintenance but shop technicians skills will likely be needed at times.
- Travel to and lodging costs for races. Races are weekend-long events, which means the course is available to ride on Saturday and the Race is Sunday. It is likely that 1-2 events of the 6 event season will occur within an easy drive from home. Many of the races will be far enough away from our area that you will want to stay overnight if you want to pre-ride the course. Travel to and from races and any lodging needed is the athlete's family's responsibility.
We can potentially drive down our costs by finding community sponsors and through fundraising. If you know of companies or individuals that would be interested in supporting our youth and the program, please reach out to us.
Parent Involvement Reimbursements
We highly encourage parents to ride along and help coach the team. Our team cannot function without a large number of parents and adults riding along with the kids. To encourage this we attempt to take away the financial burden of getting involved. Here are the benefits we offer:
1. We reimburse all coaches for coach License costs and background checks (Cost $52.50 per year)
2. We annually set aside funds for the following larger coaching events:
- Attendance at the Spring Leader's Summit ($225/coach)
- Reimbursement for First Aid Training, NICA Wilderness First Aid Training and CPR Training at cost.
Coach Reimbursements: All coach incurred expense reimbursement checks are available on September 15th.